About Stuff

Monday, November 8, 2010

Ask Dr. Smarts: Romance, recipes, running tips and real life musings

Greetings Hello Kitty!

Well, today is/was a warm(ish) sunshiny day...if you lived here, it would be a perfect day for you and your schmoopsie-poo to gallavant around town, making googly eyes at each other while crunching the red and orange leaves under your feet :P

Actually, you know me, I love a good romance story (probably why I watch so many bollywood movies!), even if it isn't mine. That's so sweet you've found a sensitive yet manly BF - that's a rare combo, don't you think? I still don't think you're as cheesy as you make yourselves out to be, because I know that Catwoman, though perhaps not at the surface, is still present somewhere in Ms. Sassypants, LOL.

Your NYC plans sound super amazing! I still haven't even thought about the holidays. I'm dreading the "What to do for NYE" dilemma that hits every year at holiday time - everyone has a different idea of 'fun', someone inevitably decides to throw a lame-ass house party that you know you don't want to go to, and then you end up offending someone by choosing another (more fun) option...However, last NYE turned into a very fun time despite the threat of drama, so hopefully this year will follow suit. I think I want to have a cocktail party during the holiday season too...hmm...I need to get organized if that is the case, then...

So proud of you for running! Though it's not supposed to hurt. Most likely you are wearing the wrong shoes. Head to your nearest sports store (Running Room, Nike, etc) and ask them to fit you for a running shoe. They should watch you lightly jog, and decide if you overpronate, underpronate or are neutral (i.e. how you curve your foot inwards, outwards or not, when you run), then recommend running shoes for you. Once you have this information, you can pretty much buy your shoes anywhere, because you'll know what type of cushioning and support you need. At the marathon expo last year, Adidas had a fancy foot scanner that could apparently reveal your optimal running shoe, but I'm not sure if they do that in their stores. I'm a neutral runner, but I opt for a really cushiony shoe.

Also, what surface do you run on? Concrete sidewalks are the hardest on your joints, wheras the road is softer. The track is best, but boring. Maybe try alternating. I have to get back into running. You've motivated me now.

I love adding sauteed zucchinni to an omelet. It's so sweet and yummy. Add some feta cheese and it is divine.

Cat #3????? No comment, LOL.

How's BF doing? Hope he's got a lot of pain meds to help him through...pass along the feel better wishes from me!

As for my weekend, well...Friday night was the chocolate-a-thon. We split a 3-flavour fondue of white chocolate, milk chocolate and dark chocolate, with loads of bananas, strawberries, green apple, pineapple, poundcake, lady fingers, marshmallows and madelines for dipping. It was all girl talk and catching up. The place is really girly, filled with ladies having a night out, or gay men on dates. Not a place to find my future husband, but it is very enjoyable nonetheless, LOL.

One thing I realized after almost 2 months away: not much has changed back here. Somehow, I felt that I was putting my life on hold while I was away. I know that is not that case, as I learned so much personally and professionally, but I kept thinking that my 'life' was back in Canada and I was missing things. Not so. My friends had not much to report, on either a personal or professional front. It was kind of eye-opening. Sometimes fear holds us back from going out and seeing the world or making changes in our lives; but the fear of stagnating should be what we use to drive us forward. I don't mean just travelling, but really living life, whether that be moving in with a BF, quitting your job, or changing your hair colour (I couldn't think of a #3 really quickly, LOL.)

Saturday and Sunday...well, I went home to the parents and let them feed me. I was in need of home cooking, and they delivered. Some menu items: roast beef, mashed potatoes, veggies, apple pie, salad, souvlaki, spanakopita...I ate it all. Twice. Then fell asleep at 10pm on a Saturday night. It was the ultimate lazy weekend. I think I deserved it.

I promise I'll exercise this week. Hopefully with some dancing too, because I really feel like going out, socializing some more and enjoying life. We need to celebrate this life we've been given, because we truly are the lucky ones.

I'll end with that deeply profound and zen thought ;-)

Until next time,

Dr. Smarts

No comments:

Post a Comment