About Stuff

Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Birth Of Goya


Note to readers:  Dr. Smarts is again on international travel for work, so I’m not sure when she’ll have a chance to tell us about her Christmas and New Year’s Eve adventures. I’m hoping soon… but she’s a busy gal, I think she may actually be in the air at this very moment. In the meantime, I’ll provide some of my thoughts and updates while we’re waiting on her… Dr. Smarts will just have to update us when she gets a chance.
---------------

Ms. SassyPants here… I’m a Procrastination-aholic. It’s been a week since my last post.

I haven’t officially made any New Year’s Resolutions… because those only last about a week before Epic Fail occurs. At least for me anyway. Instead, I’ve developed a split personality. Half of me is the same lazy, procrastinating, wise-cracking slug that would rather cuddle with BF on the couch… and the other half is the newly “born” alter-ego… a kick you in the arse, bossy, no-nonsense drill sergeant type determined to see some damn improvement around here. The drill sergeant, let’s call her Goya (Get Off Your Arse!), is young in terms of dealing with me… but she’s made her presence known. And I think she’s getting stronger. ::shudder:: 
At first, she just kinda snuck up on me and I didn’t realize what was happening. Before vacation, I’d worked out a plan with my boss to come in early and work extra time for Nov & Dec so I would have enough hours saved up to take vacation (otherwise, would have had no pay). So for almost 2 months I had been getting up at 6am, to get to work by 7am. Right after vacation, I continued to get up at 6am the first 2 days and proceeded to start my day with a morning Wii cardio workout. It was only 15-20 minutes, but I realized something was a afoot when I remembered I’m not a morning person. What the eff was I doing up at 6am when I didn’t have to be at work until 8am?!
Well I put an end to that crap fast, and have slept in that extra little bit every chance I’ve had since. However, I am just now starting to admit that the morning warm-up did actually result in me feeling awake and energized much faster than usual. Like hours! And it is kinda fun to start the day with my Mii-self and some dance music. Woot!  ::gasp::  See that?! Goya is starting to brainwash me. What the hell!? The battle of wills is ON!  

The non-crazy part of me will tell you that I did like the 2 morning workouts early last week, but I went out of town to GA for 3 days and disrupted that pattern. So far this week, I’ve gone to bed later than planned and was just too tired to do more than hit snooze in the mornings. But we’ll see how next week goes. The idea is to get a quick workout in the morning before I eat breakfast. It’s to wake me up, get the blood flow going, burn a few “fat” calories (vice “carb” calories), and hopefully jump-start my metabolism. Fingers crossed!

The trip to GA was for job #2, it was a conference I attended with the hope of getting my business going… err, getting myself motivated to get my business going. I need a drill sergeant for this too. Wonder if Goya does multi-tasking? It would seem I’m not as motivated to make “extra” money when I feel safe with a regular paycheck. Though now my school loans are all in repayment, so I’m going to have to step things up…

Side Thought:
I have 3 different lenders I’m paying to right now for my school loans (10 years = different schools and different lenders). One of my local friends said she took out a personal loan with her bank to consolidate/pay off her school loans. That way she has one payment every month, and only one entity to deal with. I’m thinking this is a good idea to look into. Have any thoughts on this? Guess it will depend on the interest rate my bank is willing to offer… and how much they’re willing to loan me. Hmmm…  Would love thoughts on this in case there’s an important detail I’m missing here.

And to add to the money motivator, while I was away… the fridge died. Figured it was as good a time as any to upgrade, and now have a bit more to pay off on my credit card. Doh!  It’s so pretty though!! YAY! And functional. And I went with a style and brand that would add to the house’s resale value… just in case I’m in the market to sell within the next 5 years.

BF has decided that vodka is not a good idea for him any longer. After the attitude he displayed on vacation and the hangover he ended up with while I was out of town (I’m nice and let him sleep while I was fridge shopping)… both caused by vodka, he plans to only consume beer or wine from now on. Apparently he’s getting too old to binge with vodka and bounce back unscathed the next day like he could in his younger days. Also, he’s genuinely upset over his mean behavior when he’s vodka-drunk. I’m thrilled he came to this decision on his own, and showed my support by buying him some beer yesterday. He’s so cute when I surprise him with presents! :D  And thankfully he drinks beer much slower than he does vodka. I’m all for this alternative. He only drinks a couple nights a week (while gaming), but after the ‘Tude he displayed on vacation, I’m hoping to not see that drunken vodka a-hole side of him for a very long time.

In sorta fun news, we had some cold and icy weather (not fun!) here earlier in the week, which resulted in me working from home (super fun!). The city shut down because it was too dangerous for anyone to be out on the roads. Since boyfriend works on-call and wasn’t needed that day, we had a chance to hang out and reconnect (also super fun!) after the chaos of my trip and the fridge death. Oh also… great news! BF’s boss has verbally acknowledged BF is doing a great job, is due for additional training, and they’re scheduling an official meeting to review his responsibilities (aka: salary negotiation) for next week. YAY! So exciting. I’m so thrilled for him and know this will be great for us. And, good thing his boss knows a few things about BF’s personal life. Bossman has a position/promotion in the Northeast he was thinking of transferring BF to this year… but Bossman now knows that BF has a new GF (me) in his life now, so he’s going to do what he can to promote/advance BF’s skills here locally instead. YAY!  No crappy long-distance relationship for us. Woot!  Though it is possible that we may be faced with International work options within a year if BF gets antsy and opportunity happens to fall in his lap… zoinks!  I’m not positive we’re strong enough yet as a couple to move to another country together, but I would most likely rent my place instead of selling it. Can you say backup plan. Ha! And the real estate market is still kind of sucky anyway. But if we have at least another 6 months here together, I think I’d be confident enough about our relationship to give a new country a shot. (Our 1 year anniversary is coming up in a couple of months.) Most of the overseas positions pay well and require 6 month - 1 year commitment, but 6 months - 1 year in another country would be a fun adventure. I think I could handle it.  :D

Upcoming events:
Monday is MLK holiday so I get the day off – YAY!, Superbowl is coming up and my Pats are in the playoffs so far – YAY!, there has been talk of a possible Vegas trip in the spring with a handful of fun peeps, and I’m looking at a possible short Caribbean/Mexico cruise in April or May with BF – I haven’t been on a cruise, yet!... so I really hope we can make this happen.

Oh, and I have to tell you about Stacey! Do you remember my old roomie that was super needy and judgmental? She wanted to meet up the other day for lunch. So I did. And she proceeded to talk about herself for an hour and 45 minutes!! I’m not even exaggerating. I was able to respond here and there with a couple of short phrases… and she finally got around to asking me what was going on in my world and paused long enough for me to provide a couple updates. I would say I got a solid 7 minutes in… then she started up on some other story. It ended up being a 2 hour lunch “break”!!  Oy vay!  The purpose of this lunch – to reconnect with a female friend. Her love life has been various shades of crap over the past 3 months and she’s decided to avoid men for the rest of January. So… since she’s alienated several female friends in the last year, and her new roomie isn’t around much due to finding a new BF herself, and Stacey hates being alone… she’s having to re-connect with female friends she’s snubbed, insulted, or just dropped for one reason or another, in order to achieve not-being-alone while avoiding-men effort. Sigh. Oh well, I’m not going to avoid her or make drama over it, but I’m also not going to go out of my way to “re-connect” with her either. She really upset me when she got so needy, clingy, rude, and bratty when BF and I got together. It can’t always be all about her. I deserve to have someone in my life and be happy… even if she’s not happy for me. I don’t believe it’s really “friendship” when it’s so one-sided… and when it’s only convenient for her.
[end rant]

Tomorrow is FRIDAY!! YAY!  Hope you don’t have to work on Saturday. Darn international work schedules. Ha!
Gotta jet… gym time!  (dammit! Goya’s back!)

Sassyfrass  :D

1 comment: