I'm sorry. I was very rude in not responding to your previous email. I blame it on the fact that I read it in Kenya, had internet problems so I didn't post, then spent too much time on Facebook in Dubai, and got caught up with work in India. Hence, my self-centred post ignoring your very interesting "Vacay Novel" which I did indeed ask you to write. So I'll focus on my response now:
I forget how opposite you are from your dad. I've only ever met your mom, so it's hard for me to picture him as you describe. But try not sweat the small stuff. So you had to wear a corsage and almost had to slow dance with him at the wedding, as if you were in a bad 80's movie...I think it is sweet. You have an emotional, camo-wearin' dad - hey, he sounds like my dad. Maybe we should have them go hunting together and bond or something...
But I understand where you are coming from. Every child deserves to have their dad play an active role in their life, and your dad dropped the ball all those years ago. But none of us is perfect. I think you are very forgiving, and it's good. Vent, bitch, complain, blog - whatever helps you cope. But your dad is your dad - continue making the effort even if he doesn't totally meet you halfway. Because I can tell (YOU can tell) that he loves you. And that is what counts.
However, I draw the line and aunts and uncles. Them, you owe nothing to. Perhaps I'm projecting here from all those trips to Greece in my past, where not only siblings of my parents, but first and even second cousins of my parents complain when I don't visit them, and act like they are thrilled to see me even though they could care less to keep in touch year round, let alone even attempt to visit me in Canada.
I find it interesting that people tend to get along better with their maternal side of the family. My theory is that it is because women tend to take control of how they raise their children, hence, we become more like our mother's side of the family, and we relate better to them. My proof: My dad has mostly brothers - each of their families are different to mine. Yet my mom's sisters have raised their families almost identically - and guess what? I get along best with my cousins from that side. Some food for thought.
I'm glad you were able to enjoy the wedding though - but weddings are like that, aren't they? You go to celebrate the bride and groom, but you don't get to really celebrate WITH them most of the time. When you get married, you should have a pre-wedding celebration so with close friends so that doesn't happen to us, ok? LOL...
Now, onto your next suggestion - joining blogs and getting readers! Yes, we are TOO GOOD to be such a web secret. Though I must admit, I almost got caught posting to this blog in Kenya. I want to remain anonymous (you know, in case I win the Nobel Prize one day). I hope nobody figures it out. Perhaps I'll go back and change all the references from Kenya to Nigeria. Better yet, Mali. They speak French there.
I'm so happy you started running! It's ok to skip a run, particularly when you feel like a watermelon, LOL. I'm sure it's not that bad. I'm not running much, unless you count dodging cars on the street of death (it's not really called that; I re-baptized it). I feel like George Costanza when he moved the Frogger machine across that NY street. I go forward, backward, run forward again, leap, jump, dodge, to finally make it to the other side. Phew.
The sari-gang was scary, but I'm ok. I told my colleague what happened, and he said all you have to do in thos situations is just keep walking and don't pay any attention. I think the karate chop move scared them more than they scared me - but she TOUCHED me and I snapped, LOL.
Yawn...it's almost TGIF here...not that it matters. I found out today that SATURDAY is a WORKING DAY HERE...Lord help me...
What are your plans for the weekend? I think I'm going to try to get to the beach on Sunday. Somehow.
Smarts
No comments:
Post a Comment