About Stuff

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Cut short, can't think of snazzy title

Hey Sassy!

Nice to see you back. Of course, since you've posted, I've tried to post on 3 separate occasions, each time getting side-tracked by other things. It's been a busy week! But I'm trying to be a strong employee and get achieve all my duties so I can one day be worthy of praise such as that which you posted. Seriously, Go You!! That's awesome. I'm sure it's the first of more to come.

But you asked if we'll ever be happy with our jobs, or always have this restless feeling of what else is out there. I don't know the answer. I'm sort of stuck in that limbo right now - liking what I'm doing, but not knowing what the future holds. It's a weird thing, the Post-doc...not quite a trainee, not quite an independent scholar either. I'm sort of floating here, but worried about what the future holds. It's kinda scary, so I force it out of my mind, focus on the tasks at hand, get really into all the exciting international research I'm doing, while the back of my mind hopes and prays it will somehow lead me down the right path. I'm sure I'm supposed to be doing something active, searching for the next phase, but any time I try, I just don't see something I like, and I stop and poke my head in the sand. I need to get my act together, and soon.

Your workout/diet regime puts me to shame. I've overloaded on chocolate, cheese and wine in the 4 weeks that I've been back on Canadian soil. Workout count: 1. Blame it on the skinned elbows, LOL. But this morning I realized the pants I was finding a bit loose on my last week in India now hits just fine...maybe a bit too snug.

Must. Hit. The. Treadmill. NOW!

How are plans coming along for NY? Bought any show tickets? Christmas shopping done? Oh wait, it's American Thanksgiving tomorrow! Happy Thanksgiving! I guess you'll start thinking about Christmas after that. Where are you celebrating tomorrow? Are you even at work today? I know Americans get a 4 or 5 day weekend for Thanksgiving...sure beats our one Monday off (are you listening Canadian government? We need more holidays!). What's the history of our divergent Thanksgiving days anyways? Is it the difference in harvest seasons?

Regarding your comment, "I need my ducks in a row and to have total confidence in someone before I will agree to spend the rest of my life with them." How long do you think this needs? I mean, you say you won't consider it until next summer, but really, is time even a factor? Maybe you'll have confidence before then, you never know. I know there are factors like saving money, getting a stable job, etc. that take time to achieve, but I really don't think you can put a time on that. I still maintain you may be saying "I Do" sooner than you think. Or maybe that's just me being idealistic and romantic :P

So onto other news: Gaby's store looks great! It's so fantastic to start off on a new business venture and be your own boss. She's doing well so far, and the place looks great.

I did get dressed up and looked all snazzy for a Gala Fundraiser last Friday night. The organizers presented our research team with a huge cheque (well, not the dollar amount, but the size of this plastic 'show' cheque) and made us stand up for all to see. It was funny, before they announced our team, I was sitting next to the High Commissioner of [name of country removed for privacy], whose dinner companion asked me if I was sure I was meant to be sitting at the VIP table. He did so nicely, but I could tell he was wondering why this 'unknown' young lady was sitting at the High Commissioner's table. I explained that I was seated there by Dr. So-and-so, the event organizer. When our team was announced to the crowd, however, the man at my table became my best friend, telling everybody about our research.

People are so fickle.

Oh, crap! I have to head to a talk in 10 minutes at the hospital accross the street. Got to cut this short. Send me some interesting news...I'm afraid I've become really boring lately.

Smarts


No comments:

Post a Comment