Now you've got me thinking about alcohol. I avoided it in Kenya mostly because I was on malaria medication and I'm not supposed to over indulge (though I did try this amazing South African wine, bottled in Kenya, which supports local women's projects with its profits). Here in India, every restaurant I go to serves 'mocktails' (interestingly, it's a word that nobody had heard of in Kenya, but in India it abounds). Technically Hindus are meant to avoid alcohol, yet the weekend 'fun' section of the paper pointed out several new pubs, bars and clubs opening this weekend, with really good mixologists in residence. The paper actually described a part of India I have yet to see - a posh, urban, young and trendy crowd. Apparently, this city also attracts foreign chefs who open fancy restaurants. I must be staying in a more traditional part of town.
I managed to get Saturday afternoon off. I'm going to venture out in search of something sweet and chocolate. Last night I staved off my McD craving with a yummy helping of butter paneer and naan bread. McD who? For lunch today I had a Masala Dosai, which is sort of like a crepe filled with potato and peas...very delicious. But now I could go for some dessert...and it's daylight so I can venture out a little more safely.
I can picture your BF half drunk while you order a tattoo artist to ink a wedding band on his finger. Maybe it could be your name in handwriting twisted all the way around it...I think you may start a trend.
I'm not actually going on my mini vacay until Thursday, so I'll have more to tell you about in a couple week's time...however, tomorrow is the day I venture out to the beach. I've got a dilemma though: what to wear? Ladies dress modestly here...whereas I would be tempted to go in a tank and shorts (it's so hot here I'd actually consider going naked, LOL), I should probably keep covered and melt on my way there. What to do?
In other news, I've accepted your mission. It's going to be tough to find an Indian hottie the likes of Nigel Barker (wow) but I'll try for you, Madam Sassy-pants.
Have a great weekend!
Smarty
P.S. One of my collaborators told me I could get a job as a Bollywood actress. I don't know if I should be flattered, or if it means I'm not a good scientist, LOL.
P.P.S. Moustaches: everyone has them here. Like, beyond Tom Selleck. Almost like those Mexican cowboy-style moustaches. But twisted up and oiled. It's the fashion here I guess.
No comments:
Post a Comment